Thursday, May 21, 2015

Space and Place: Swim Lesson One



The city of Rome is crowded and full of people. Some people are simply wandering, some are rushing to get places, and some are standing in everyone’s way. The streets of the city are like rapids. To walk down a side walk one must dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge (people, cars, buses, and mopeds) in order to successfully walk down the street. It is chaos, unplanned chaos. One can barely keep their wits about them on their wild, level five, white water rapids ride, known as walking down the street in Rome.
I’ve only been in Rome for a couple of days, but the rapids have already started to wear me down. Therefore, it was nice to have a break from the hectic waters of the city streets and flow in the calm waters of the Palatine Hill. Walking into the Palatine was like walking into a lazy river. It was spacious and void of the hustle and bustle of the city. It was not the white water rapids anymore, but a guided river. The triumphant trio (two others and I) were able to follow the brick road, though it was not yellow, to the overlook of the Roman forum.
                Although the road was established, and lead me on a leisurely stroll to the top of the hill, it was not the only path to follow. Dozens of side paths lead people around the hill. I moseyed along, not in any rush. I felt calm and distant, and at times, I felt like the emperor must have felt. Not rushed or crowded by anyone I sauntered in an open, green space, my movements dictated by me and by no one else. The flow of movement on the Palatine and in the streets of the city is as different a quiet creek and a roaring river.

No comments:

Post a Comment